Re: German Umlauts on the console.

Stephan Engelke dixit:
> Hi everyone,
> my system keeps giving me keyboard related toubles. I am running Debian
> 2.0 with Kernel 2.1.123. I am trying to get a German keyboard layout on
> the console. My keymap is de-latin1-nodeadkeys.map.  The problem is:  I
> cannot get German umlauts to display on the console.
> The curious thing is: I umlauts are displayed at the login prompt, but
> as soon as I log in, either as normal user or as root, the umlaut keys
> are not recognized anymore, no umlaut-characters are displayed, the
> cursor does not advance, furthermore the "sharp-S"-key displays the last
> command entered.  I checked the Keyboard HOWTO but had no luck following
> its suggestions.
> Does anyone have any pointers for me?
> Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

This is how my /etc/profile looks like for configuration of the Spanish
characters.  I guess you'll have to change ES for DE.  Tschuess (BTW, do you
have the "eszet" character on German keyboards?.

# /etc/profile: system-wide .profile file for bash(1).

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"

export PATH PS1
export LC_ALL=es_ES

umask 002

--