Slow ifconfig

Somehow my ifconfig has become extremely slow.  I'm not sure exactly when
this happened, but it probably happened while upgrading to slink the other
day.

To give an example:

$ time /sbin/ifconfig >/dev/null

real    0m6.788s
user    0m4.450s
sys     0m1.590s

This used to take far less than a second...

If I strace the ifconfig process, it pauses around these lines:

socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
socket(PF_IPX, SOCK_DGRAM, [PF_UNSPEC]) = -1 ENOSYS (Function not
implemented)
socket(PF_IPX, SOCK_DGRAM, [PF_UNSPEC]) = -1 ENOSYS (Function not
implemented)
socket(PF_IPX, SOCK_DGRAM, [PF_UNSPEC]) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
socket(PF_AX25, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)          = -1 ENOSYS (Function not
implemented)
socket(PF_AX25, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)          = -1 ENOSYS (Function not
implemented)
socket(PF_AX25, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)          = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
socket(PF_APPLETALK, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)     = -1 ENOSYS (Function not
implemented)
socket(PF_APPLETALK, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)     = -1 ENOSYS (Function not
implemented)
socket(PF_APPLETALK, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)     = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
brk(0)                                  = 0x804fe0c

Specifically, it pauses for about two seconds before (in?) the third
socket call for each protocol (IPX, AX25, APPLETALK).  My kernel is
compiled without support for any of these, and I have aliasesed them to
"off" in /etc/conf.modules.  This happens with both kernels 2.0.36pre14
and 2.1.125.  The version of netbase installed is 3.11-1.

Unless one of you has a solution, I will post a bug report.

TIA
--
       /'"`\  zzzZ  | My PGP Public Key is available at:
      ( - - )       | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>