Re: Realplayer V5.0 and Netscape

> From: lee@sectionIV.com (Lee Bradshaw)
> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:46:01 -0400
>
> On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 07:05:27AM -0500, W. Paul Mills wrote:
> > The player should already be listed there, as a plug-in, but may
> > not be activated. If not, you will have to add it by hand. If you
> > have network audio installed it will not work. But I do have a
> > workaround if you need it.
>
> I'm interested in the workaround. Please post it. I've been
> stopping/starting nas by hand when I want to use realplayer.
>
> --
> Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
> Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com

I use this as a helper application called by netscape
instead of using the plugin. I am using this with the latest
stable version of Netscape and Debian 2.0. It may give some
problems with older versions due to memory problems. With
older versions, I had to pad the file to be as long as the
Real Audio executable to get it to work. Redirection to
/dev/null keeps messages from popping up in netscape, due
to output from the programs.

The script only tries to stop network audio
it it is running. It also does not restart
network audio if rvplayer is still running
somewhere. This prevents problems with multiple
launches of Real Audio from netscape.

x------------- cut -------------
#!/bin/bash
# /usr/local/bin/rvplayer
# Real Player startup script with Network Audio

if /sbin/pidof au > /dev/null 2>&1
then
    sudo /etc/init.d/nas stop > /dev/null 2>&1
fi

unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rvplayer/rvplayer $@

if ! /sbin/pidof rvplayer > /dev/null 2>&1
then
    sudo /etc/init.d/nas start > /dev/null 2>&1
fi

exit 0

--
*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *