Re: xdm replacement?

"Noah L. Meyerhans" <frodo@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> Well, kdm actually does offer a nice piece of functionality that xdm
> doesn't.  It allows you to choose an X session at login (kde, window
> maker, afterstep, etc), by providing a combo box that lets you choose the
> parameter that gets passed to the Xsession script.

This exactly the main problem I have with the KDE project and it
remains to be seen whether GNOME will do it better. This isn't
exactly rocket science. It has been done before. CDE's dtlogin can do
it, f.i.. Same for pictures, IRIX has done that for ages. It would
have been a lot nicer if this could have been included in the
original xdm. Same holds for several other apps that have been
KDEifed.

Somehow moving from xbla to kbla always induces a fork so that
functionality relatively independent of any real KDE features does not
migrate (easily) to the original.

Jan