Re: Internet via Proxy-Server?

Miquel van Smoorenburg writes:

 > Transparant proxying is an optimization in that you can redirect
 > all connections to port 80 of any outside-server to pass through
 > a caching proxy, so that you get the benefits of a proxy cache without
 > configuring the client to use the caching proxy. I mentioned port
 > 80 because this is done in most cases for web traffic only (not
 > much use in caching telnet sessions)

This is not clear to me - if you want to pass outgoing HTTP requests
through a proxy, you need to modify the stream - for all I know, when
a browser requests a page from a server it sends a "GET /dir/page.html
HTTP/1.0" request to the server, and when it's through the proxy it's
"GET http://server.com/dir/page.html HTTP/1.0", i.e. the request
includes the protocol & the name of the server. So, what am I mising
here? Or does the kernel really edit the outgoing stream when
configured with "transparent proxy"? How can this editing be
customized?

And another question - when one Shift-clicks "Reload" in Netscape and
he's using a proxy, a "Pragma: no-cache" directive is sent to the
proxy asking it to re-request the document and not retrieve from the
cache. How is it possible to do such a thing when Netscape doesn't
think it uses a proxy but actually it does?

--
Alex Shnitman
alexsh@linux.org.il   UIN 188956