Re: ***HUGE*** security hole??!! (Re: Lost root passwd)

paulwade@greenbush.com writes:

> It's a matter of threat assessment and the value of what you are
> protecting. We can get paranoid and put gun towers on every corner of our
> homes because someone might want to interrupt power and communications to
> our personal linux server. Recently, I was reading about these smart card
> devices that have emergency erase features. The idea is that banking PIN
> numbers might be stored unencrypted in a little vault. Only encrypted data
> is transmitted on the connecting cables. If someone tries to tamper with
> the vault or the cards, the contents are erased. It sounds extreme and
> there is probably a weakness somewhere outside the vault, anyway.

This reminds me on German telekom's telephon cards with PIN. You have
three tries to dial the right PIN. The third time has to be done in
a Point of Service of German Telekom. If you fail three tries, the
card ceases to function at all.

I guess it's an easy one liner with PAM ;-))

Greetings,

Grimaldi
--
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de       grimaldi@debian.org