compiling mod_perl

I'm trying to compile mod_perl and it doesn't seem to see my gdbm
library
in /usr/libs:

ip046:/usr/local/src/mod_perl-1.16# perl Makefile.PL EVERYTHING=1
Configure mod_perl with ../apache/src ? [y]
Shall I build httpd in ../apache/src for you? [y]
Appending mod_perl to src/Configuration
Using config file: /usr/local/src/mod_perl-1.16/src/Configuration
Creating Makefile
 + configured for Linux platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
 + setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ldbm
ld: cannot open -lgdbm: No such file or directory
make: *** [dummy] Error 1
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
** will also provide a clue.
 Aborting!

It goes on, of course, and says everything's okay, but I'm kind of
sketchy about this.  Does anybody out there have a clue to what's going
on?
--
Christopher Fury
Aerosoft, Inc

... a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.