Re: 386 mass storage

I did this with a 386 a few times. Basically, it seems that once the
kernel is loaded the obsolete BIOS is no longer an obstacle. Here's 3
setups I have used.

1) boot from a linux partition at the beginning and then mount large
partition(s).

2) boot from a floppy. The drive had 1 large root partition and a swap
partition.

3) boot from a floppy. The space at the beginning was a bootable ms-dos
and linux used the space beyond that. This is handy because ms-dos would
have needed 'Disk Manager' type of software to use space which the 386
BIOS couldn't handle.

You have to be careful, but if you set it up right the drive can be moved
between the 386 and a newer machine without problems. Nice because it can
take a while to install lots of packages on a 386.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +