more mail

OK I still don't have a clue how to set up this mail stuff. This is what I
need...
The local machine is called "gonzo" (yes, after the muppets), and I connect
to virgin.net. However
I send mail out through iname.com. Now, if I login to the local machine as
say, "kermit", yet I have an account at iname.com of "scooter", then I
assume my local address is "kermit@gonzo". However, if
I configure smail with a "visible" name of gonzo then obviously my return
address is "kermit@gonzo" (I've
proved this to myself) which is wrong, because "gonzo" is unknown to
everyone. So the "visible" name
must be the name of the machine through which I send mail, ie iname.com.

   Now I should have addresses of "kermit@gonzo" (local) and
"kermit@iname.com" (remote (if that is blue
it is because if outlook express, Not me)) The problem now though is that my
username at iname.com is
not "kermit" it's "scooter", so something must translate my login name to a
different mailname for external
mail ONLY.

   Iname.com forwards mail to virgin.net so fetchmail happily retreives it
(even when outlook won't, I noticed
today)

So now I should be able to type at the prompt

    $mail kermit

and receive a locally sent message to myself ( I assume I should just be
able to mail people locally by their
login names) with a sender address of either "kermit" or "kermit@gonzo". If
I send an external mail though
it should have a return address of "scooter@iname.com" and not "kermit" or
"gonzo".

   I assume that the aliases need to be set up in /etc/aliases but I have no
idea how to say that "if person A
sends an external message use this name B but is person C sends an external
message use name D"
I think I had it sussed for incomming messages

I have read the smail documentation a couple of times but documentation
never seems to document
what you want to know. funny that.

Apologies if this doesn't fit nicely on peoples mail readers, but I'm still
stuck with windows for now.
Waaaaahhhhhhhhhhh