Re: debian-user-digest Digest V98 #1095

David Frye wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Sound Card
> > Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:15:00 +0200
> > From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
> > To: Rick Pasotto <rick@tolive.vnet.net>, debian-user@lists.debian.org

> > > That this is necessary is one thing that will definitely keep linux from
> > > being a consumer os. The average user expects sound and doesn't even
> > > know what a compiler is.
> >
> > So what? Kernel compilation can be sufficiently automated, modules are
> > another solution. Making modules confgurable, too.
> >
> > Ever tried the kernel-package? Building a kernel is as hard as entering two
> > lines verbatim from the docs, and configuring it. Configuration could be
> > improved with better documentation.
> >
> > Marcus
> >

> Ok, walk outside, choose a neighbor who has never used Linux before, and
> ask them to volunteer and build you a new kernel. Let us know how it
> turns out. :)

	One step at a time.  Linux is in no condition to be a mainstream,
pure-end-user OS, because Unix was never meant to be that either, and
Linux of course is a Unix clone.
	Before we let dreams of a conquest of MS go to our heads, lets realize
that most developers of Linux (I'm not one), *aren't even interested* in
the mainstream OS market segment.  It is the server/network OS that most
developers (I believe) are interested in.
	Lets give Linux more time to develop (7-10 years maybe?) before we
start thinking of 'World Domination' as Linus would say.  :-)

--
Ed C.