List: kde Subject: Wrong C Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica ... to type Fontstruct

This problem has been reported a number of times. I stumbled across a
solution, when following up on errors in my .xsession-errors file. The
errors were - KCharset charset not found - (or something very similar).
A search of the kde mailing list archive turned up the following
message:

>List:     kde
>Subject:  Wrong Charset Messages - Quick Fix
>From:     Jacek Konieczny <jajcus@zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl>
>Date:     1998-08-19 12:17:58

>Hi,

>I just found the reason of those ugly messages.
>KDE complains when it have no charset definition file for given locale.
>To fix it, you should create file:
>$KDEDIR/share/locale/$LANG/charset
>containig name of character set used in your country. In most cases it is
>"iso-8859-1".

>$LANG means your locale name - "it","sl" or something like this.

>And of course a fix will come with next bugfix release of KDE.

>Greets,
>   Jacek

On my debian system I added the file charset to /usr/share/locale/en.
The file contains a single line - iso-8859-1.
All the "Fonstruct problems" with Netscape , Wordnet not running, etc
etc have now been fixed.

Regards John Mcknight.