Newbie Q: Dselect / HD install

Hi,  I am installing debian for the first time.

	I have a 486-66 DX with a 4-gig hard drive, partitioned at 600-k for DOS, and
the rest for Linux.  I currently only seem to have modem capability through DOS.
	I do not have a CD on this computer, however it is possible for me to transfer files
from my MAC CD, as long as the filenames are DOS file names.  Of course, links get killed
in the process of transferring the files.
	I do have a CD copy of the debian distribution.

	Recently, I searched out the directories on the CD that matched the project.gz
descriptor files, and saved them all to my DOS hard drive, in a proper directory format.  MAIN directory
files were placed under /main/stable/msdos-i3/ and contrib directory files were placed under
/contrib/msdos-i3.  I then ran DSELECT under Linux, and selected installation under a
filesystem not yet mounted.   The files saved under each of these were the short version of the
filename, corresponding to the MSDOS filename.

	Unfortunately, when we got to step (4), the actual installation, and the DSELECT program
ran DPKG, I got a whole series of errors "unexpected end of file in version number..."

	I am wondering what I need to do to make this work.  What am I doing wrong?

Michael
"Who is like God?"
 "Qui est le mem que El?"
         Kiala Mem Mikhail