Dependencies that make you go ugh

If someone could help me out, I'd much appreciate it.

I've been having a really lousy time trying to get my Espon Color Stylus
400 to print worth a darn. In the course of doing this, I decided to
upgrade gs to the gs-aladdin package in non-free. So I run apt-get and it
tells me I fail the system integrity check because package wmaker is
missing two dependencies: libprop0 and giflib3g. I had gotten around the
libprop9 problem before by installing it from a tarball, lke a big idjit.
But I can't find a .deb with version >= 0.8.1, which wmaker 0.19.3-1
wants. In addition, while it's true that I don't have giflib3g, I DO have
libungif3g 3.0-2, which, according to dpkg -s, is supposed to satisfy that
dependency.

So, any ideas? To sum up:

- I need to find a .deb of libprop0 >= 0.8.1
- I need to figure out why apt-get thinks I need libgif3g, when that or
the already installed libungif3g is supposed to be a valid alternative.

Any help with this, or general advice on printing to an Epson CS400, is
greatly appreciated.

Mike Cummings  Seattle,WA