Re: Debian KDE philosophy

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998 Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk wrote:
> Independently of the KDE issue, there's a question I've wondered about
> for some time.
>
> Has the GPL ever been tested in court (i.e. has there ever been a case
> that turned on it)?

No, I've never heard of that.

It's been successfully used to get people to release code though: NeXT,
for example, had to be forced into releasing their gcc modifications. So
apparently some high-priced lawyers didn't think they'd win in court.
It was also written with the aid of lawyers, unlike many free licenses.

So it's probably safe to say that at least the core parts of it would hold
up in court.

Havoc