2.0 X still won't work

After installing Debian 2.0 onto a clean system, X11 will not run.
XF86Setup seems to go fine, my mouse appears to be configured properly,
and all the software seems to be correctly installed.   Of course, if
something is missing, it wouldn't be obvious to me, either.  Executing
startx results in the getting-very-familiar error:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2

However, the error number changes to 111 when my $DISPLAY variable
is changed from unix:0 to :0.  Localhost:0 was also tried.  This is a
standalone system, though it does call the ISP using ppp.  My localhost
shows up in netstat -r output, and looks like my ISP's, which is also 2.0.
The default manager is fvwm2, pretty much at random, though twm was
substituted once with no change.  Anybody can run X11, and most of my
efforts have been run from my non-root userid.

.xinitrc and .xsession are pretty much by the documentation, but they're
not available to copy here.

Presumably the problem is something simple, but since X11 is not
something I've worked with much, it's not obvious to me.

Suggestions, please?

Thanks,
Michael

==

Michael Watson           Unix Systems Administrator
U.S. Coast Guard Aircraft Repair and Support Center
CGAS Elizabeth City, NC                252.334.5269
n6wav@yahoo.com                mjwatson@livenet.net