Re: backup programs

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 12:33:53PM -0700, Max wrote:
> I just set up my system to use Amanda only to discover that it cannot
> append to tapes, thus wasting a ton of space on every run (imagine
> putting a 90MB incremental backup on a tape that can store 24GB and
> then using a brand new tape the next night).  Is there another package
> with a similar level of sophistication and features as Amanda that can
> append to tapes?  How does afbackup stack up?  Any others?
>
> Thanks,
>     Max

Yeah, I ran into the appending problem trying amanda at work. We
have a 6 tape jukebox, so we make system backups periodically
:^) and just back up our data to one tape each night. BURT
<http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jmelski/burt/> seems to be another tool
designed for network backups, but I haven't tried it.

After trying a few programs, I decided I liked tob the best for home
use. It's a front-end to afio. I compiled afio for libc5 and added it
to Tom's Root/Boot disk <http://www.toms.net/~toehser/rb/> so I could
recover my system with just a floppy. I have cron use mt to go to the
end of the tape and then append incremental backups with tob -inc.

Make sure you test the recovery procedures of whatever program you
decide to use and that you have everything you need for a recovery on
a floppy (or something you can access when your old hard disk is a
paperweight.)

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com