Re: telnet localhost

Have you tried to telnet to your machine from a remote machine?  If not
check inetd.conf and make sure telnetd is running there.  If it isn't put
it in and then kill -HUP inetd's pid.  If you have a default host.allow it
should allow anyone so that is the problem and default hosts.deny is no
problem either.