Setup problem--can't load network card driver

I'm trying to load 2.0 via NFS, so I have to install and configure the
network card driver etc., and I can get all the way down the install list;
however, when I try to install the NIC driver into the kernel, I get an
error message:

(yadda yadda) init_module: Device or resource busy

I've tried using two different NICs, an Intel EtherExpress and an SMC
EtherEZ, and I get the same message. I can load other network-related
modules (AppleTalk, NFS, etc.) without a problem. This is a clean install,
totally from scratch.

I'm new to Debian, though I've done many installs of Slackware and FreeBSD.
What do I need to check or do?

Thanks,

Jon

<><
Jon L. Gardner, Network Administrator <mailto:jon@ci.bryan.tx.us>
City of Bryan, Texas / Bryan Utilities <http://www.ci.bryan.tx.us/>
Tel (409) 821-5724  Fax (409) 821-5795
* My opinions are not necessarily shared by my employer. *