Multi-partitions

Okay, this is a bit of a newbie question. You've been warned...

I haven't installed Linux yet, but I'm going to as soon as my CD's arrive in
the mail. I'm pretty well-versed with the setup procedures (after having
read the installation instructions 100 times while on the john -- yes, I
have no life).

I'm still a bit confused, however, with the way it handles partitions. Am I
supposed to use DOS fdisk to partition and format a DOS partition, and then
run Debian's install, partitioning "sub-partitions" under the non-DOS
partition that I've created earlier? Or will Debian's installation let me
set up a "DOS" partition for me to boot and format later?

And then, how will I be able to tell what operating system installs into
what partition, and what the MBR will reflect? Help...

Adrian