Re: Problem using vi in telnet session

I recently took a class on Unix and we used Win95 machines to Telnet into our server and vi acted "weird."  The instructor acknowledged this and said that there was nothing we could do.  I would suggest using a Windoze X Client software in place of Telnet.  We use Exceed and it works well.  There may be something available that is "free" but I don't know.

HTH

>>> "David Karlin" <funk48@travelin.com> 10/6/98 3:49:08 AM >>>
Hello,
I'm running a hamm system and mostly login through a telnet window on
my win95 machine (I have only one monitor as of yet).

When I run vi in the telnet window, I get some strange behavior.  Just
about no matter which key I press, the screen blanks, and then vi
begins to save a copy of the file. (BTW, deselect also acts strangely.)

When I plug my monitor into the Linux box and login at the console, vi works
fine.

I asked someone about this and he said it might have something to do
with the terminal type of my telnet client.  The win95 telnet client
I'm using emulates a VT100-ansi.

Has anyone experienced this kind of situation?  Can anyone point me to
the appropriate docs, or offer a solution?  I looked in "Running Linux",
but couldn't find any info there.

Tia,
--David