URGENT!!! ROOT PARTITION DELETED

Hi all,

I was having problems with the network so I deided to use the rescue disk
to configure my machine with no network. By mistake (big mistake !!!)
I chose to initialise the root partition rather than mount a previously
initialised partition. The hard disk did not work a lot but my root
partition seems lost. I did not search for bad blocks on the partition.
I have not installed anything apart from the stuff on the rescue disk. Is
there a way to save the stuff on my root partition. Nothing is critical
all the important stuff is in the other partitions which I can see but
I will have to reconfigure the system. Please help
George

George Kapetanios
Churchill College
Cambridge, CB3 0DS    E-Mail: GK205@cus.cam.ac.uk