Setting terminal type for telnet sessions only

Hello,
Thanks to a suggestion by Michael Stone, I tried TERM=vt100 from the
command line, and vi now seems to work properly in a telnet window.
Very nice.  Thank you Michael.

How can I set my login script to set TERM=vt100 *only* for telnet
sessions, and not for console (or other) logins?  As I understand it,
the console emulates a vt220, and I don't want to lose the extra
funtionality when I login at the console.

TIA,

--David