Re: scsi emulation

> I have a scsi controler card in my computer (adaptec 2920 aka
> future-data) already compiled into the kernel
>         Can I enable scsi emulation as well to drive an IDE CD-ROM
> burner? Or will the REAL scsi driver and the scsi emulation code duke
> it out leaving fubar behind?

I use an Adaptec 2940U as well as SCSI emulation to drive a PD-CD.
To the system, it looks like I have 2 SCSI interfaces, each with their own
devices.

$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: COMPAQPC Model: ST34371N         Rev: 0472
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST31230N         Rev: 0594
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIP 100          Rev: D.09
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: COMPAQ   Model: PD-1 LF-1195C    Rev: A110
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
  Vendor: COMPAQ   Model: PD-1 LF-1195C    Rev: A110
  Type:   Optical Device                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02

In my case, the restriction is not putting SCSI and SCSI emulation
together, but putting ATAPI CDROM and SCSI emulation CDROM together.
The docs say that if I compile both into the kernel, the ATAPI will win out
over SCSI emulation and will detect the hardware.  Haven't tried.
I presume if I put a second CDROM in there, that it will also be detected
by SCSI emulation, but I dunno.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada