how do I prevent DNS queries?

I have set up a small LAN at home with my Linux box being a router,
firewall, mail&news server and my MAC being my system for working on.

If I send email from my Mac all is well. The mail software contacts my
Linux box and delivers the email which is later sent to my ISP via UUCP.

But if I send news articles the brain dead Mac software queries the DNS in
order to find out the system's domain name. This is stupid because it costs
money (no flat fee here) and it doesn't need to "find out" the name: I put
a domain name in the Mac's equivalent of "/etc/hosts" and the news package
on my Linux box disregards it anyway. It writes the internal IP address
into the header.

How do I prevent my Mac costing me money? Could I perhaps install bind on
my Linux box and forward all queries to my provider except those for a
reverse lookup of 192.168.1.2? If this is possible, could anybody help me
with configuring bind?