Xringd: still having problems with pon....

Jens Ritter wrote:

> Phillip Neumann <filsin@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
> Please check the mail archive.
>
> As far as I read, you have to restart xringd, so it gets the
> back to the modem.
>
> --
> Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de       grimaldi@debian.org
> KeyID: 2048/E451C639 1998/01/28
> Print: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37
> Here is a patch for one of the nastiest 2.1 (and earlier)
> problems: the uptime counter wraps back to zero after 497 days. The
> heartbreak of seeing that carefully-nurtured uptime go to zero is not
> something that should be inflicted on anybody.
>                 -- http://lwn.net/  August 27, 1998

Hello....

You mean this:

>There was a discussion on this over
>the last week or two.  In the /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory create a shell

>script that calls '/etc/init.d/xringd stop > /dev/null' and in the
>/etc/ppp/ip-down.d directory create a shell script that run
>/etc/init.d/xringd start > /dev/null'.  It is necessary to restart the
>xringd deamon so it regains control of the modem, thus the stop and
>start.
>
>Hope that helps,
>
>Brian

Well i thoght that doing that stuff in /etc/init.d  would do it autimatically.... now i dont understand that are the script for...

So you mean i should kill or turn off xringd before using pon?? well if i do that xringd will be turned off and it will not execute pon.....

So then i should do something like this. Xringd shuold not execute pon, i could execute a script that could be somthing like:

xringd stop

pon

If so now how could i say xringd to restart after doing a poff ?? (i am not at home at this moment...)

What am i doing wrong?? xringd doesnt want to work !!

Thanks,

                       /      Phillip  Neumann       /
                      /     filsin@bigfoot.com      /