'man'

Hello all:

I just installed Debian for the first time (Install was very easy and
went well).  So far I've only installed the base system (rescue,
driver, bases 1 through 5)  It seems to be working quite well and I'll
start adding some packages soon but I have one concern.  I can not use
'man'.  I always need help when it comes to using various commands.
When I type 'man' and the name of a command like df or something it
says unknown command.  Do you think there's a problem with my install?
 Do I need to install a package in order to get the manual command?
Any suggestions you have would be greatly appriciated.

TIA,
Brian Meenan
(looking green and wet behind the ears when it comes to Linux)