PPP, host lookup failure and related questions

Hi all,

I have moved from an ethernet connection to ppp. I have a couple of
questions. I would really appreciate some help
1) pppd comes up on boot fine and I can telnet to a remote host as long as
I use the ip numeric address. When I use the word address
e.g. cus.cam.ac.uk instead of 131.... I get a message saying there was a
host lookup failure. This is not a ppp specific problem as xdm will not
start either giving a message of a non valid address. I have purged my
system of all references to the previous name and ip address of machine
(at leastas far as I know ) but I must be missing something .
Any ideas ?
2) a related question. I have a static ip address with my isp. Do
files such as /etc/network /etc/reoslv.conf
e.t.c need to be reset or is everything taking happening with the
/etc/ppp/* files  ? Hoe about the /etc/init.d related files
like /etc/network , /etc/netbase ?
by the way is the command ifconfig ppp0 .... valid ?
The system complains about an unknown inteface.
I am asking this because I would like to set up services
such as xntp sshd e.t.c.
3) How can the connection be used only when a service is required and
not all the time as in the u.k. there is no flat telephone rate ?
4) Finally (thanks for your patience) is a setup where a
single telephone line supports both the modem and the phone
able to support incoming connections ? How does it work ?
If any of the questions can be answered by RTFMing please
let me know of the appropriate manual. Thanks for any help

George

George Kapetanios
Churchill College
Cambridge, CB3 0DS    E-Mail: GK205@cus.cam.ac.uk