Having trouble installing Debian.

Ok , this is a long one.
I am new to installing Debian Linux. I tried to install it by
directly connecting to the ftp site using ppp . But I kept getting
disconected. ( That is another story. ) So I decided to download all
of the Debian files through WS_FTP in Win 95. I thought I would be
able to install Debian that way, but when I started dselect and began
the install phase, the program dselect returned the following
message :

" Oh dear, I need to install or upgrade dpkg-perl, but I don't see
the appropriate files anywhere. I'm expecting version or later as
that is listed in the Packages file.
   Perhaps you downloaded it with an unexpected name, or something.
In any case, you must find the files (s) and then either place it
with the correct filenames ( as listed in the Packages file or in
/var/lib/dpkg/availible ) and rerun the stallation or upgrade the
package by using 'dpkg --install -auto-deconfigure' by hand.

installation script returned error exit status 1 "

When I downloaded the Debian files ( it took me several nights of
downloading ) , I thought I had the whole thing. All of the files are
located on /dev/hda7/debian of my first hard drive. Apparently not. I
need to know what to do next. I am at a loss.

Monte Copeland
Knoxville Tn  USA