RFC: Debian and Groups in NIS/Automount environment

I have been fighting with getting some Linux boxen working in our Solaris
environment. A *>MAJOR<* stumbling block has been Debian's GID and UID
assignemtns. We use the staff group for our solaris home directories. When
the linux box mounts them, they all become owned GID uucp. This is just
one minor example. Worse is that the mail directories become owned by GID
lp.

Is there a way that we can GRADUALLY migrate Debian's UID and GID
assignemtns to those that work better in a corporate intranet? I use
Solaris as the example here because it is probably the most popular NIS /
NFS environment AND Sun Microsystems has been very Linux friendly these
days.

A few quick examples and suggestions follow.

A typical comparison of groups might look like this:

Sun	Group		Debian

0	root		0
1	daemon		1
2	bin		2
3	sys		3
4	adm		4
5	uucp		10
6	mail		8
7	tty		5
8	lp		7
9	audit
10	staff		50
	news		9
	disk		6

What I suggest to do at first is:

Change:

Debian staff from 50 to 10, uucp from 10 to 5, tty from 5 to 7, lp from 7
to 8, mail from 8 to 6, and disk from 6 to 50.

This would clear the major portion of the group ownership problems when
NFS mounting Solaris things or using an NIS group file in a Solaris
enviornment. It will involve an interesting search and change script for
upgrades but the sooner it is done, the easier and it will make Debian a
better fit in an existing Unix network.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!