large incoming ftp transfers crash computer

This is actually a problem my friend has been having.  He has a hamm
system which is connected to the same local 10Base-T network that mine is.
The other day, someone else on the local network was transferring
something really large (~500MB) to his computer and my friends computer
crashed hard.  I wrote down the error message that had scrolled down the
terminal somewhere, but I lost it.  :(  I do remember that it began with
"Aiee:  ".  We thought it was just a quirk, but yesterday I was
transferring something large to his computer and his computer crashed
again...this time without any error message.

This error doesn't occur with my computer, which is also a hamm system, so
it can't be something wrong with the network or with in.ftpd itself.  I
guess it must have something to do with his hardware.  He has a Pentium II
400 with 128MB of SDRAM, and a 3COM 905B ethernet card.  He also has a
UDMA hard drive which isn't really working properly in linux.  Every time
he boots up, it says:

Partition Check:
 hda:hda: set_multmode: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hda: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hda: Disabled DMA

He's tried the 2.1 kernels, but they do the same thing.  Could this
disabling of his hard drive's DMA mode be the cause of the ftp problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

--
 _____  _
| ____|(_)     http://www.iit.edu/~jenseri