Re: Debian secretary not working...

*- Ralph Winslow wrote about "Re: Debian secretary not working..."
| When Phillip Neumann wrote, I replied:
| >
| > Hello,
| >
| > I cannot get xringd to work.
| > Here is my /etc/xringd.conf file:
| >
| > -a echo Ring...
| > R 1-6 R 8 : echo Got ya
|
| Since xringd runs as a daemon, (I assume by the name, I don't actually
| use it),
| your echos probably go to something like xringd.log somewhere.
| >
| > 1)It is supposted that when reciving a call, a "Ring.." will apear on
| > screen at the same
| >  time that ring on the phone isnit?? Well nothing apear when the phone
| > ring...
| > 2) After 2 rings and hang up, linux shuold write "got ya" insit? well
| > this is
| >  not happening too...
| >
| > When booting there apear a lot of messages including:
| >        Starting phone line monitor: xringd.
| > So i think its `turned on'.
|
| To be sure whether it's "turned on" do this:
|
| ps ax | grep xringd | grep -v grep
|
| if xringd is running, you'll see a line that mentions xringd.
| >
| > How can i get xrings to work ??
| >
| > PS: where is supposted linux to write "ring..."?? on a term ?? and all
| > users will see "ring..."??
|
| I'd assume it'd raise a box in your X window, but as I said earlier, I
| don't actually use xringd yet.  HTH

Since it is a daemon it disconnects from the terminal and will not
produce any output in a terminal or a X message box.  It should have a
log file, maybe /var/log/xringd.log or /var/log/xringd. I don't use it
now either, I have in the past though so I can't remember exactly.  For
the conf file try a test command that writes to a file or sends a local
mail.

R 1-5 R 8 : echo "Hello" > /tmp/xrind.test

or

R 1-5 R 8 : mail -s "xringd test" root < /dev/null

Also I think it uses the /dev/modem device by default so unless
/dev/modem is a symbolic link to your serial port you will have to
specify which device to use.  Use the -m option for that i.e.
-m /dev/ttyS1.

Hope that helps,

--
Brian