HELP: Newbie with fsck problem

A power outage just caused a file check failure. I was told to fix the
problem manually with fsck. When I run fsck or fsck -r -f, it replies
with the usual, "Parallelizing fsck version 1.10 (24-Apr-97)" and
immediately returns me to the (root) prompt without doing any repairs.
When I try to reboot I get the same problem (Unattached inode, I
believe; I am writing this using my Windows95 OS and forgot to write the
problem down).

What do I do from here. Any help much appreciated.

Albert Hurd