Re: A True newbie here (fwd)

At 05:39 AM 10/2/1998 -0500, Christopher Jay Stevenson wrote:

>Hmm... meant to send this to the list

CD,

>> > Umm... I'm using FAT32... is this a problem?
>
>Heh...
>
>mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win95_part
>
>worked juust fine
>
>Now, I get this weird error message when I try to install the dhcpcd
>package
>
>cp: /etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory
>
>Hmm... any ideas?
>
>---starfox
>
>Chris Stevenson

I also am new at Linux; too new to know what I'm talking about, so take
this with a grain of salt. My understanding is that the /etc/resolv.conf
file is a DNS (domain name service) lookup file. It contains the address of
your DNS servers. Mine just has two lines:
search acu.edu
nameserver my.DNSserver's.IP.address

It looks like maybe the cp (copy) command was trying to copy the file
(perhaps to a backup file?), but couldn't find it. Since this is a new
install, it may not matter. On the other hand, you may try reconfiguring
dhcpcd (dselect/configure or something similar to "dpkg -c dhcpcd"); a lot
of times a second or third attempt at configuration will solve problems
(because package 1 needs package 2 installed before it can be configured
but package 2 needs package 1 configured before it can be configured, etc).

Hopefullly someone else will provide a more definitive answer.

Kent

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!