Re: NIS Server and Clients

See comment below.

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:

> 	Hi Debian users,
> 	I'm trying to setup a NIS server with some clients.
> 	I'm following the steps of /usr/doc/nis/nis.debian.howto.gz.
> 	I begun with the server.
> 	At step 3.6: Setup the server by typing "/usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m"
> 	The following error occurs and I suspect that I will not be able to use NIS clients then:
> 	HOST132:/etc# /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m
>
> 	At this point, we have to construct a list of the hosts which will run NIS servers. HOST132 is in the list of NIS server hosts. Please continue to add the names for the other hosts, one per line. When you are done with the list, type a <control D>.
> 	next host to add:  HOST132
> 	next host to add:
> 	The current list of NIS servers looks like this:
>
> 	HOST132
>
> 	Is this correct?  [y/n: y]
> 	We need some  minutes to build the databases...
> 	Building /var/yp/fgv.br/ypservers...
> 	Running /var/yp/Makefile...

I had the same problem. Seems to be a bug in ypinit. If you
go to /var/yp and run make (with the server running), the
Makefile works.

> 	/bin/sh: 1: command not found
> 	make[1]: Entering directory `/var/yp/fgv.br'
> 	make[1]: `ypservers' is up to date.
> 	make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/yp/fgv.br'
> 	make[1]: Entering directory `/var/yp/fgv.br'
> 	Updating passwd.byname...
> 	/bin/sh: 1: command not found
> 	Updating passwd.byuid...
> 	/bin/sh: 1: command not found
> 	Updating group.byname...
> 	/bin/sh: 1: command not found
> 	Updating group.bygid...
> 	make[1]: *** [group.bygid] Interrupt
> 	make: *** [target] Interrupt
>
> 	Comand not found.
> 	What I did wrong?
> 	have a nice day,			Paulo Henrique

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills              *  Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.              *
* EMAIL= Paul@Mills-USA.com  *  WWW= http://Mills-USA.com/          *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *
************ pgp public key emailto: key@mills-usa.com *************/