Low memory installations?

Hi, please forgive the newbie...

	While waiting to get a copy of Hamm for my main machine, I thought I'd try
putting Bo on an old machine I've got.

	486DX33, <4MB RAM (3968kB), 520MBHD (no CD, I was going to install debs via
FTP from my thin-netted major machine or even floppy).
	I found lowmem.bin and resc1440.bin, made disks of them both.
	Made the swap, main and temporary root partition.
	Initialised swap, (I THINK I) copied the root filesystem to the Linux/MINIX
partition (I keep getting a "could not find ??? charset", where ??? is a TLA I
can't remember now, but then it appears to proceed normally).
	I've experimented with making both/either/neither the main and temproot
partitions bootable.
	Then I go for option 4, Exit. Now the symptoms of problems begin.

1)	If I restart with lowmem.disk and enter no options for LILO, the same
procedure starts again with no escape.
2)	If I restart with lowmem.disk and enter boot: "root=/dev/hda3", I get
"Could not find kernel image: root=/de.v/h" (!?!?!?)
3)	If I restart with resc1440.disk amd enter no options for LILO, I get "you
have insufficient memory, use the low memory procedure" (!?!?!?)
4)	If I restart with resc1440.disk and enter boot: "root=/dev/hda3", I get the
same as I do with (#2).
5)	If I restart with no floppy I get "NO ROM BASIC   SYSTEM HALTED".

	I've gone over section 6 and 7 of install.html with a fine-tooth-comb and
found nothing of any use.

	I've checked with an ex-president of my city's Unix/Linux user group and I
went to IRC://irc.debian.org#Debian. The only response I got there was "hey,
I'll lend you/try getting some more memory".

	But a) I've filled all the 30-pin SIMM slots on this machine and b)
goddamnit, lowmem.disk says it can handle 2MB RAM.

	How am I supposed to demonstrate Linux superiority to all my misguided
friends if I can't demonstrate it to them!? Wah! :-)

	Can somebody improve the documentation for this on install.html? And more
urgently, can anybody help me please? I'd be very grateful...

--
P.

"Batman is not a MAN. I'm an IDEAL. I am JUSTICE."
	Batman, Justice Legion A, 853rd Century
	(Batman Detective Comics, issue #1,000,000)