Re: Quake2

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Ruud de Bruin wrote:

> I am having problems with running Quake2 (v 3.14) under Debian. Quake2
> running under X-Windows runs fine, but the version running under SVGALIB
> segfaults. I am running a MACH 64 video card. Haven't changed anything to
> the standard Hamm setup, except installed the netscape wrapper.
>
> Anyone a idea?
>
> Regards, Ruud.

Check the svgalib version. The new one from Hamm (and slink I think) work
properly with the Hamm and Slink versions of Quake2:

quake2     : Version: 3.19a-1
svgalibg1  : Version: 1:1.3.0-0.3
svgalib-bin: Version: 1:1.3.0-0.3

svgalib1   : Version: 1:1.3.0-0.3  <-- from "oldlibs" for squake
                                          (conflicts otherwise)

And check SETUID permissions on /usr/lib/games/quake2/quake2.real:
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     games      342284 Sep 11 08:33 quake2.real
(ignore size diff: thats 3.19a)

HTH,

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                      From a 1996 MicroSloth ad campaign:
        "The less you know about computers the more you want MicroSoft!"
      -- See!  They do get some things right!  (I gotta stop stealing Sigs)