Re: What causes single user boot?

In article <[🔎] 6uvv02$kbq$1@sunsystem5.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>,
Andy Spiegl <news.andy@spiegl.de> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I've got a webserver which is running constantly.  A few days ago
>we had to reboot it, because of a SCSI problem with the JAZ drive.
>(side note: can you imagine the load went up to 115 still growing!?)
>
>Well, after the reboot the system stopped at the prompt:
>Press Ctrl-D or give root password.

Can be 3 things:

1. You turned on sulogin on boot in /etc/default/rcS
2. A filesystem check failed because there were serious errors and
   the system wants you to run fsck manually
3. A filesystem check failed because the driver for a disk
   (say a SCSI driver module) wasn't loaded.

If it was (2), you can prevent that by setting FSCKFIX=yes
in /etc/default/rcS. It will forcibly check all file systems and
repair them even if there are serious errors. This might result in
dataloss, but usually there isn't anything else you can do even
if you do run the fsck manually.

The cause was undoubtedly on the screen, you should have asked the
operator to scroll back with SHIFT+pageup and write down all
messages....

Mike.
--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.