dpkg trouble...

My dpkg is broken:

# dpkg -S /usr/bin/brec
dpkg: fgets gave an empty null-terminated string from `/var/lib/dpkg/info/kernel-source-2.0.30.list'
#

It first started the other day, when I tried to unintall Netscape 4 and then
install Netscape 3; it happened when during the install of
netscape3_3.04-3.deb (although I had the same error when trying to remove or
install any other package).

Nothing in the info, man or /usr/doc files allude to this error. And I
haven't touched these kernel-source packages in a long time. As a temporary
workaround, I moved kernel-source-2.0.30* from /var/lib/dpkg/info to a
different directory.

I want to fix this. What's going on?