Time is fouled

Hello Debian Users,

I am having a difficult time with my system displaying the
current time.  I have checked my main boards bios and that
has the correct settings. I have used hwclock & date settings
to bring the correct time to Linux, its ok if I keep the machine
up, but If I shut down over night and bring it up again
during the next day or whatever, time is again messed up.

Things I have attempted to use:

hwclock --set --date="9/22/96 16:45:05"
hwclock --hctosys
hwclock --systoch
date -s "Sep 23 HH:MM 1998" ; hwclock -w

None of these keep the date nor time after a reboot.

I am wondering whats screwed up, yes I'd like to
have local time, as when I installed Debian,
I chose for local time setting PSDT....

But if this is the reason for it messing up, or
I should look somewhere where it might be messing up
and edit it, (where would I look) I could change it
or how would I fix this?

Steven Udell
hettar@teleport.com