Okay then, incremental compiling and loading... Re: Free debugger that can do source debugging without executable.

How about incremental compiling and loading then? I've heard that there
were Lisp environments that were doing this in the 1980s. Given C's
popularity, and the fact that it's more than a decade later, is there an
incremental compiling and loading environment for C?