Re: simple password

Hello,

Well thanks, i didnt knew that `password' was so a simple password.
I had my roots password insecure too, anyway i have no much interesting over
here...

I would like to try security. I have create an account here for user
`secure'. For the password i have insert a word of 8 word-character. Now, how
can i login as secure?? How can i guess the password ??

dsb3 wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Phillip Neumann wrote:
>

> >I have now my password as `password123`. I still want to put it as
> >`password`......
> >

> in case my other reply didn't make it to the right place, only as root can
> you typically set a weak password if secure passwords are installed.  I
> hope you were being analogous in your password example.  Setting ANY users
> password to just 'password' (or any other password complained about for
> being too weak) is an incredibly foolish thing to do.  Certainly, you may
> consider it a remote possibility, but at any time you are dialed up to the
> internet, unless you or your distribution SPECIFICALLY restricts it,
> anyone else in the world is able to attempt to connect to your PC.
>
> As soon as they log in as a user they have a fair crack at getting root
> access if that also has a weak password.
>
> IT may sound trivial, but don't do it!  use strong passwords as a habit.
>
> - dave
>
> --
>
>    |     oOOooO           /
>  --|    oOobodoO        /   dsb3@earthlink.net
>  --|     ooOoOo       /
>    |       II       /     "Rocky Road," croaked the Toad.
>    |       II     /

                       /      Phillip  Neumann       /
                      /     filsin@bigfoot.com      /