Do PCI modems need something special?

Hi,

I have a generic 56K PCI modem supplied with my system.  I was assured
by the vendor
that this was not a winmodem.  The documentation that was supplied
with the modem is not for a PCI modem so I can't trust anything
it says.  The only thing I know about this modem is that it has Lucent
chipset and claims to be a MDP7800-U as far as windows is concerned.

On linux, I setserial recognizes it on /dev/ttyS3 after I tell it
that it is on irq 10 and give it the ioport of 0xdc00.  It lists
the UART correctly.  stty -a </dev/ttyS3 gives a sensible response.
However, I can't get any response out of any comm programs when I
try to connect to the modem device.  Is there something special
I have to do, is this kind of device not supported, or did I get
screwed by the vendor and get a winmodem anyway?  How do I tell?

				Thanks,
				Eric Stern