Re: Vi problem!

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Shao Ying Zhang wrote:

> Hi all,
>         Does anyone aware of this situation:
>         When you run vi, if you are in the command
> mode, and then resize your xterm, the text will not
> be redisplayed unless you hit some keys..
>
>         When you in the input mode, it will give you the
> message: Window resize interrupted the input mode...
>
>         I have used vi for a long time, and this is the first
> time I met this problem.

It isn't a problem - it is a warning not to do that.  Generally, apps
that rely on screen geometry (ie ncurses based etc) take their settings
upon initialization, and resizes afterward can confuse the software, if
not properly written.  I always stick to 25-35 lines & 80 columns because
if you get comfortable with some weird maximized xterm everything you
type will look bizarre to anyone else who reads it.

Steve Tremblett
QNX Technical Support