instructions for setting up Wacom ArtPad?

I've borrowed a Wacom Artpad for use with the Gimp (1.0) on bo.  But
all the searches I've tried for information on configuring my system
to use the tablet have turned up nothing.

Surely there's an article or HOWTO or FAQ on the subject.  Pointers
please!

Thanks,

--Eric House

PS I've ordered hamm, so if upgrading's a requirement that's fine with
me.

|            from the desktop of: Eric House, fixin@peak.org              |
|    "The instructions said 'Win98 or better' -- so I installed Linux"    |