Re: pine 4.05 install

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, D'jinnie wrote:

>I've been trying to compile pine 4.05 (with the sl5 option, for shadowed
>pw) and it barfs on undefined references to crypt and can't find
>ltermcap...any ideas? P.S. What is it about the license that doesn't allow
>Debian to make a package out of it? They have compiled binaries on their
>site...

1) you may need to specify -lcrypt in the Makefile
2) do you have the termcap library installed?

from the pine CPYRIGHT file (actually looking at v3.96 which I have
installed)

[snip]
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee to the University of
Washington is hereby granted, provided that these legal notices appear in
all copies and supporting documentation, that the name "Pine" is retained,
and that the name of the University of Washington is not used in
advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software
without specific, written prior permission.  This software is made
available "as is".

[snip]
If this software is modified for local use, please denote this on all
modified versions of the software by appending the letter "L" to the
current version number and by enumerating the changes in the release notes
and associated documentation.

I guess PINE doesn't get packaged because of that 'without fee' bit.
This explains why it's in non-free and not contrib, but doesn't explain
why only the source is distributed and not the binaries.

- dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /
 --|    oOobodoO        /   dsb3@earthlink.net