Installation Issues

I recently installed Debian Linux, the most recent version, and have had
difficulty installing Netscape and Staroffice.  It seems to need Motif
or something similiar.  Man pages and readme files have helped my setup
of Debian Linux and xwindows.  However, I need help learning what files
are necessary for Netscape and Staroffice to work (manual links might
have to be done).  I already know that Libc5 files are needed for
Netscape (4.05) and Staroffice (4).  Perhaps the best work around is
download the latest release of Netscape and Staroffice.  However, I
can't do this until I have a working internet connection (it dails but
cannot establish handshaking).

My solution:   re-install Debian Linux, selecting only the necessary
packages needed.  Then, configure the ppp connection, using pap (which
ppp files do I edit?).  Then, use one of the internet applications
(which one?) to download the most recent release of Netscape for Linux
(Debian has an installer, how do I use it?), then download StarOffice
through Netscape.  What Debian packages do I need?  I would like, but do
not need:  peer network, network server, newsmail, etc.  I just need a
workstation with some development programs and most especially internet
connectivity and office suite applications (a few games would help with
creative energy).

Brian
barmstro@werewolf.net