Re: Help on installing Debian thru the loopback device.

scottg@coleen.mdc.com writes:

> Hello Folks on Debian-User,
>
> I have been using Debian for quite some time and am very happy with it.
> I have it installed on my (very) old Dell laptop and it runs perfectly.
>
> I want to do something different however.  I have the Debian 2.0 (Hamm)
> CD-ROM from Cheapbytes.  What I want to do is install Debian onto my D:
> hard drive partition in a file using the loopback device.  The problem
> is that the Debian installer program seems hard-wired to offer me only
> /dev/hda1 but not /dev/loop0.  I can switch to the second virtual console
> and mount the D: drive and use losetup to associate a loopback device with
> my file; but how can I get the installer to offer me /dev/loop0?
>
> Any help would be wonderfull.  Thanks in advance.

I patched the dinstall program of the rescue disk, so that she doesn't
test if the root device has been previously mounted.
With the patched disk I am able to install Debian into a file.

I will provide the disk later this night. (Watch for follow ups).

Grimaldi
--
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de       grimaldi@debian.org
KeyID: 2048/E451C639 1998/01/28