strange automatic logouts

Has anyone had any problems running KDE (under Debian 2.0) where you'd
bring up an xterm, from there log into another machine, run a program
that you'd expect to take some time to complete, and when you come
back you've been kicked off?

I've checked tcsh's $autologout.  It was set to 0 (on one machine).
But this seems to happen while running another program (so tcsh
shouldn't be involved), plus tcsh prints out a message about
auto-logout when it does it and we're not getting that message.  I'm
getting "connection reset by peer".  Plus, this happens when logged
into VMS (where we have no tcsh) as well.  Is there an idle timer on
my tty?

thanks,
Cliff W. Draper              cliffwd@forte.com          (510) 869-3462
Internal Tools                                          Forte Software