newbie help: how do i configure IP services/daemons of my machine?

hello,

i am a previous slackware user, and used to edit wildly in config files.... now
i administer also a redhat machine, and they have a runlevel editor and other
tools to configure a machine...

now is there a special way to administer a debian machine? Especially is there
something to respect when customizing which daemons should run on my machine
and the services the machine exports?

can i safely remove the links to the intiscripts in the rc*.* directories to
stop daemons to start? (BTW it would be nice if on installation dselect would
ask if a particular daemon should be started by default or not...)

and can i safely edit /etc/hosts.allow/deny?

or are there special tools to do so?

ciao
bboett
acount at earthling net
http://erm6.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett
Unsolicited commercial email is NOT welcome at this email address
To contact me replace acount by bboett in above addresses