Re: Installation

At 10:54 PM 9/23/1998 +0000, Menno Scholten wrote:

Hello there,

I have a major problem with the installation of Debian. I already have Windows as OS but I wanted to have Linux as well. So I downloaded the basic files for installation. My harddisk has already 2 partitions, so I tried to install it on D:\. Next I executed the installation program. Everything went as planned, except that I don't now how to partion D:\ again so that I can use one partition as swap disk (my first question).I solved this problem by not using a swap disk at all ( I have 32 MB of RAM). But I sure like to use a swap disk.

Anyway here is my major problem:

the installation program asks me for resc1440.bin wich is at my C:\ directory. How do I tell the installation program that it is there? It first was stored at D:\ but after mounting Linux on it all the files were erased ( this was no suprise I knew this would happen, so I made backups ).

I haven't got any ideas any more, I tried everything I know. Copying resc1440.bin to A:\ is no sollution because it doesn't fit on a HD-disk, and this problem also occurs with Base 2 0. I've also tried telling Debian that it was at hda2 but it didn't work.

The last problem (for now) is the boot-disk.

The program format's a regular HD-disk but at the end it says that the disk is write-protected. The porblem is that the disk is NOT write protected. This problem occurs with all my disks.

If hope you can help me because I'm really desperate ( I almost threw my PC out of the window).

Menno Scholten.

m.scholten@wxs.nl

I believe there's a way to install Debian from an existing DOS/Win partition, but I haven't yet tried it, so I can't really give you any info.

The easiest way is to install it from floppies. You should have five (or so) floppy images, named something like base-1.bin, base2-bin, etc. You should also have an image named resc1440.bin and one named drv1440.bin (I *think* that's the name). You need one more file: rawrite2.exe (or the older rawrite.exe). From a DOS prompt, run rawrite2. It'll ask for a source file (such as resc1440.bin or base-1.bin, etc), and the it'll ask for a destination drive (such as A:). This program copies the images to the floppies so they'll fit and be readable by Linux.

Then simply boot off of the A: drive and follow the instructions.

As I said, there may be a way to install to D: from C:, but I haven't tried it yet.

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!